Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I'm doing SOMETHING right:)

I've been reading ahead at the GriefShare website and found this. I don't know why it isn't set to go out until Day 227?!? I personally believe that it should be one of the first! It truly helps to know I've been doing something positive since day 1 to get through my grief. :)

Write Your Memories
Writing down your memories is a way to become unstuck if you are stuck in grief. Set aside a regular time to write out all the positive experiences you can remember that include your loved one. One memory will lead to another, and you will have much to write. This exercise shines light on the positive memories, which will help you keep the negative memories in perspective.

"When you lose someone," says Dr. H. Norman Wright, "what you have left basically are the memories. At first they're so sharp that they hurt. In time those memories begin to dull. They diminish. That in itself is another loss that you have to go through. In writing about it, you don't lose those memories. They're always there in black and white."

Writing down memories is a special process that takes time and courage.

"For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you" (2 Corinthians 2:4).


OK, so I don't necessarily have a "set time" I write to you each day. Sometimes it's late, sometimes early, sometimes in the middle of the day,some days I write you multiple times and sometimes I skip days altogether! Despite the inconsistancies, writing to you AND re-reading each entry later is the best AND cheapeest therapy I could hope for. It helps me savor and share the man I was privleged to call MY MAN, keeps me honest about my memories and my grief, and helps me remember that although you're not in this temporary world with me anymore I too will one day relocate to Eternal Life with you:).

I lost count of all the journals I've received as gifts and bought myself over the years. Back in High School and early into adulthood I journaled every single day! It helped me reflect on my life each night and see on paper how God consistently worked in my life. It was like seeing God's footsteps on each page. Then life got overwhelming for me and I got too busy to make time for it (horrible excuse, I know). After you and I met, I tried so many times to get back on track. But, it never became a priority. Not until the day you left.

I'll admit - I so wish that I had a box full of journals to go through to relive each day we spent together! Some memories didn't need to be documented to be remembered...but I know there's so much more that I haven't remembered yet. But knowing I can't change the past, all I can do is move forward and continue this special keepsake of memories. 1434