Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Legacy

One thing I think about a lot since your funeral is the legacy I wanna leave when it's my turn to relocate to Heaven. I think that's one reason why I write to you publicly, as opposed to a handwritten journal or something private like that. Writing to you like this is my way of helping to fulfill your legacy.

You were on a mission. You cherished friendships, were devoted to family, worked hard, and most of all you took seriously God's command to "make disciples!" All of these things are so evident in the pictures, videos, FB posts, and the memories you were a part of in the years after you surrendered your life to God. I'm not saying you weren't an amazing man before that...but you said it best in your testimony - "I have not been a person of many words, but my life has opened up more now that I have accepted him. The best way I can show that I have surrendered my life to him is to get baptized symbolizing the end of my past and following a new way."

At your funeral, Pastor Ron could have easily said "Wanna know Mark? Read his FB posts, ask those close to him about his heart, watch videos and look at pictures of him with his kids...", and left it at that (although, I'm glad he didn't). I pray that my life can leave that kind of impact behind when I go! That's how I want our kids, our future grandkids and great grand kids to remember me. So, I gotta surrender myself daily to the Lord and HIS will. Easier said than done because I'm a natural worry-rat, but I've got to make a conscious effort 24/7 to keep my eyes on Him and not the things of this world. Your legacy helps me want to become a better me everyday. Thank you babee.

1434